First add the disk from the VMWare server manager
- From the VMWare Server select the VM.
- Choose "Add Hardware"
- Create a new virtual disk.
- Choose the capacity for the example 20GB.
- Finish off
Next to get the Linux guest to recognize the disk. Assuming you already have one physical volume mounted using LVM the new disk should be /dev/sdb NB I had to reboot before the new disk was recognised. I wanted to add the new drive as an extra block of contiguous space.
- fdisk /dev/sdb
- primary partition
- accept the defaults for first and last cylinders
Add the disk to the LVM Volume. The current disk is 20GB and I am adding an additional 20GB
- vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb1
- lvextend -l 40GB /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
- resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00